CODE . SHIFT . PUSH
OpenShift is a container platform developed by Red Hat. It is a hybrid cloud, enterprise Kubernetes platform which helps to build containerized applications faster and in a better way. Red Hat OpenShift is optimized to improve developer productivity and promote innovation.
It implements the functionality of both Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Container as a Service (CaaS).built around the core of Docker. The orchestration and management is provided by Kubernetes.
Why Use OpenShift?
It provides a common platform for enterprise units to host their applications on cloud without worrying about the underlying operating system. It manages development lifecycle, including standardized workflows, support for multiple environments, continuous integration, and release management.
Some features of OpenShift :
- Multiple Language Support
- Multiple Database Support
- Extensible Cartridge System
- Source Code Version Management
- One-Click Deployment
- Multi Environment Support
- Standardized Developers’ workflow
- Dependency and Build Management
- Automatic Application Scaling
- Responsive Web Console
- Rich Command-line Toolset
- Remote SSH Login to Applications
- Rest API Support
- Self-service On Demand Application Stack
- Built-in Database Services
- Continuous Integration and Release Management
- IDE Integration
- Remote Debugging of Applications
Advantage of OpenShift
- Innovate and go to market faster: It helps them to speed up the development process and get the product faster in the market.
- Accelerate application development: Deploying and managing containers at a scale is a complicated process. It cut down the time of managing the container. This improves the companies productivity and speeds up application development.
- Enterprise-grade, container-based platform with no vendor lock: With a vendor-agnostic open-source platform, users can migrate their container processes to the new operating system quickly — while avoiding the extensive costs often involved in migrating from a proprietary operating framework.
- Self-service provisioning: This self-service provisioning helps improve developer productivity by allowing the development team to work with the tools they are most comfortable using.
Cisco is a leading IT industry best known for its networking products. Cisco develops, manufactures, and sells networking hardware, telecoms equipment, and other IT services and products.
Challenge : Cisco’s success depends on its ability to quickly deliver innovative IT products and solutions to customers. Delays can cost the company business.
Solution: To meet the demanding requirements, Cisco partnered with RedHat to build its Lightweight Application Environment(LAE). Running on the OpenShift Container platform, it supports 100+ applications that powered a variety of business functions and gave developers on-demand access to the infrastructure, operating system, middleware, and system functions to develop applications without any manual provisioning.
Result: The new LAE platform has become a catalyst for innovation and progress, enabling Developers at Cisco to get what they need, when they need it. It has reduced time-to-market, streamline infrastructure using containers, and increased operational efficiencies.
Ford Motor Company seeks to provide mobility solutions at accessible prices to its customers, including dealerships and parts distributors who sell to a variety of retail and commercial consumers. To speed delivery and simplify maintenance, the company sought to create a container-based application platform to modernize its legacy stateful applications and optimize its hardware use. With this platform, based on Red Hat OpenShift and supported by Red Hat and Sysdig technology, Ford has improved developer productivity, enhanced its security and compliance approach, and optimized its hardware use to improve operating costs. Now, the company can focus on exploring new ways to innovate, from big data to machine learning and artificial intelligence.
As a leading bank serving private, corporate, and fiduciary clients, Deutsche Bank has embraced digital transformation. The bank wanted to improve the experience of both its banking customers and users of its back-end technology, including employees and external providers and developers who use the platform to build and run applications. Using Red Hat® solutions, Deutsche Bank built an open source Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) to simplify DevOps collaboration, optimize capacity, and increase efficiency, cutting end-to-end application development time from 6–9 months to 2–3 weeks.
A lot of companies are using OpenShift to increase efficiency and reduce deployment time.
🔅Thank you for reading 🔅